Saturday, August 1, 2009

BIGGEST tomato hornworm I've ever seen . . . .


Today, I visited the rain-soaked garden and noticed much lush greenery missing from some of my newest tomato plants in the roma patch! I mean branches stripped nekkid of leaves!! Well, on closer inspection, I spy the well-camouflaged fiend. How could I miss him??!! He's bigger than the trunk of the plant, for cryin' out Pete!! Yikes!

He was about the size of my middle finger - 1/2" in diameter and about 3" long. BLECH! It gives me the willies just thinkin' about it. Hubby plucked him off the strange-looking tomato plant sans leaves, and we dropped him into the chicken tractor with the bantam chickens. They looked at us like, "What the heck? How we gonna eat that? No knife, no fork, and it's still movin'? Nuh uh. Not us."

Well, smart new farmers that we are, we picked him back up and put him in our little basket and took him over to the duck pen and tossed him in there. The 3-week old ducks walked all over him getting their water. Two of them finally noticed him and pinched him a couple of times with their beaks, then went back to the stupid feeder and waterer.

Disgusted, we walked away. I looked back and the hornworm gave me the eye and stuck his tongue out at me. I shook my head and kept walking. Like the Terminator, he'll be back.

1 comment:

Erin Davison Dykes said...

I hate those things. It takes my husband and I hours to find them sometimes.