Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thinking about the garden . . .

I've begun putting thought into what I'll be putting in and when in the garden. I think I'll chat with Rachel and see what her Master Gardener inlaws are doing and just copy them! They seem to have this whole timing thing worked out pretty well.

For now, I just need to amend, amend, and amend my soil with composted chicken and rabbit poo. I'm also sure the worm bins are rich in goodies!!

I'm definitely going to devote a goodly area to arugula and a few variety of lettuces. I'm going to try Swiss Chard - AGAIN - and hope it does better in the cold. Potatoes - a must - and my seed potatoes are a-sprouting away and ready to be planted right now.

Broccoli and brussels sprouts are still doing well. I've had one full harvesting of broccoli and I'm seeing if I'll get another. If not, I'm just going to take the leaves and make those "grass patties" that I love so much. I must think of a better name for them, but they look like you stepped in a mound of freshly mown grass and a hunk of it got stuck on the bottom of your shoe. They taste GREAT, but they look like grass patties. Here's the recipe:

A big bunch of radish leaves (a large mixing bowl full) I used Swiss Chard and Broccoli leaves
an onion
several carrots
an egg
some cornmeal
garlic
salt & pepper

Finely chop all the veggies. The leaves will need to be held together with the egg/cornmeal mixture, so the finer the better. Break the egg into the veggies and beat the yolk and stir together. Add 1/4 cup of cornmeal or more as needed to make it hold together. Salt and pepper can be added now or later.

Take heaping spoonfuls and drop them into an oiled skillet and mash into a patty shape. Fry on both sides. Serve hot with salsa or not. They are SO delicious!

No comments: