Tuesday, January 19, 2010

19 eggs a day . . . .

6 aquas, 10 dark tans, and 3 ecru eggs, freshly laid by my lovely hens, await me every day in the nesting boxes! Even lovelier is a dozen eggs in a carton, a nice mix of colors, all polished and ready for sale to those organic egg connoisseurs. It is a marvel!

My hens are not "pasturing" during these cold/rainy spells. They are in a LARGE open space with roosting limbs and nesting boxes and a dirt floor covered with clean straw. They can be called "free range" because of all that space. When the weather is better, I let them out in the pasture to forage and I can call them "pastured" or "grass-fed" chickens/eggs. MotherEarth News says there is evidence that this changes the nutritional value of the eggs. Click here to read the article and be SURE to click on their graphic of the nutritional differences they found. Therefore, during this weather, my eggs are PRETTIER than store-bought, but I wouldn't claim that they are nutritionally better. My hens are treated QUITE well in their shelter, and they're safe from predators there, but they seem even happier when they get to roam and scratch and peck and chase flying bugs. BTW, they eat LOTS of bugs and I have NO more grub problem in the garden or the yard!

The funny aside is now - with all these eggs - I sound a bit like Bubba talking to Forrest Gump: "We're gonna make fried eggs, boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs, eggs Benedict, Egg Foo Yung, egg-drop soup, egg custard, . . . . " (how many things can I think of to make with eggs?!) I boiled 19 eggs last night and made egg salad for us all for lunch. Delicious! By the way, fresh eggs don't peel well when boiled. You need to let the eggs sit for 2 weeks or more so that the insides have shrunken a bit away from the shell. I boiled those fresh eggs yesterday, and peeled away about 1/8" to 1/4" of white with every eggshell! So buy your Easter eggs in advance so they'll peel well.

Right now I'm collecting the bantam eggs to put into the incubator. I need some regular bantam hens to accompany my roosters. I only get one egg every other day or so from my two hens, but I'm hoping they are fertile and will make cutie baby chicks.

The silkies, two white and one grey, are just gorgeous. And I was right - the wire-bottom cage is PERFECT for them in that it helps their foot-feathers stay clean and fluffy like the rest of them. The French Black Copper Marans are very big birds - one rooster and one hen! I couldn't have asked for better. The six Aracauna's are doing great, but are showing no signs of maleness or femaleness yet. I'm going to have to just PRAY I got hens that will lay blue-green eggs.

No comments: