Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Puppies attacked a chicken . . . .

OK, it finally happened. The puppies killed a chicken - well, they injured it to the point it's not moving much. Monty checked it and there are no visible flesh wounds, but I think she's got broken bones. He wants to see if it'll perk up after the shock wears off. It's a Rhode Island Red pullet - one of the babies. I'm very upset.

I knew it was coming, but I kept kidding myself that they were just being rough and hyper and playful. The would put their mouths on the chickens and hold them down and come away with a few feathers. Today they escalated. Now I have to pen the chickens back up. Tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Hi there!! Paul suggested that I come to your site. I'm so glad he did! It looks like you and I are in the same boat, and doing a lot of the same things for the first time! I look forward to reading more of what you have learned so far. Thanks sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca. Miss you at Gwin. I went to the site for the Verbena Festival and it says May 9th, 11-6. Just want to make sure your visitors receive accurate information so we can support the cause.