Friday, May 29, 2009

Out in the kudzu patch this morning . . .

I was walking - no trudging - around looking at a sea of ruby red future jewels. Every now and then, my eye would catch a gleaming black-garnet jewel, and I would pick it and add it to my growing bucket-load of ripe blackberries.

I don't know why I'm so motivated by FREE fruit, but I'm willing to wear long pants, hot rubber boots, and layers of Off bug spray and get out in the snakey kudzu for the treasure hunt!

It's amazing that a person as chicken as I am is willing to risk a skin-ripping thorn prick to retrieve even the tiniest blackberry.

I look into the dining room at my case full of jelly jars filled with delicious, dark, thick blackberry jam and then I can say, "Oh, yeah. That's why I risk life and limb to get those things!"

Today, Monty and I picked another 3 quarts. Our new friend, goat farmer John Anderson (not the "Just a-Swangin" singer), gave us two Wal-Mart sacks of used Mason jars which I am soaking in the sunshine so that I can wash them and sanitize them later for jam. Tomorrow morning, after feeding and watering the animals, I plan to make a batch of blackberry jam.

No comments: