Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The watched egg . . .

Lots of action in the incubator!! 3 baby quail have hatched and dried and been moved to the brooder (a 10-gal aquarium lined with shop paper towels with a waterer and feed and a shop light to warm the babies). There are 2 more quail babies on their way out of the eggs - it takes them HOURS to peck their little perf pattern around the entire egg and push open the end to come out.

Several of the chicken eggs have little peck marks from the inside cracking the perfect shells. One of my Americauna blue eggs has two holes totally pecked out, and I can hear the baby chick PEEPING!

In this day and age, it is so wonderful to be awed by anything. I am amazed at the child-like excitement and wonder I feel when we have eggs in the incubator. I can only relate it to the feeling on Christmas Eve when you try to do all the right "time for bed" stuff, and you still can't possibly sleep with the anticipation of Santa's visit!! Then when you wake up, and you realize it's Christmas, and you know that when you walk into the living room you're going to have WONDERFUL surprises - you're just about to EXPLODE with excitement!

I think that I'll be so nervous and particular about these little babies tomorrow! It'll seem like forever before they've dried out enough to move to the brooder. It's going to be great! Any of these Americaunas that are female will be laying eggs in May! I'm so excited!

No comments: