Thursday, July 9, 2009

Duckling arrived!!!

We picked up our baby ducks yesterday at the post office!! I ordered 15 Khaki Campbell ducks (straight run - some male, some female), and they shipped 17, but one died en route.

We got them home by 10am and had them in a plastic bin with a light on them for heat within minutes. They are cute brown fuzzballs with black legs and feet. I put a full bowl of water in every hour or two and they go NUTS dipping heads and jumping in and out and the water is empty in minutes!! They've slung it all over the bottom and sides of the plastic tub. Then they go over to the sides and get the water droplets there.

The feed and seed was about to throw out a bunch of garden plants that were looking like they'd seen better days, and they offered them to us. We brought home a trailer full of plant flats on Wednesday. I was planning on planting everything out early yesterday, but the Post Office called and we had to pick up and deal with the ducks. We did get time to harvest half of the potatoes yesterday before I had to stop and go to piano with the girls.

We started back in the garden about 4 with thunder in the distance. My friend Rachel showed up with trowel in hand and began helping us!! Monty dug holes, and Rachel, Annie, Lizzy and I planted. We put in 23 Roma tomatoes, 17 various heirloom tomatoes, 9 hot banana peppers, 2 sweet yellow bell peppers, 20 eggplants - some ichiban and some black beauty, 7 clemson spineless okra, and then I put in rows of Swiss Chard beside the eggplants. It got late and we stopped there.

This morning, I went back in and interplanted marigolds between the tomatoes, planted rattlesnake beans, purple hull cowpeas, and swiss chard in the emptied portion of the potato mound, and some yard long green bean that I'd let dry for seed. I plan to plan some onions from seed, garlic chives, and more basil later today.

No comments: